Cheese sauce is the foundation sauce for Béchamel Lasagne, Au Gratin, Mornay. If you want a white sauce use the same recipe but omit the cheese and add parsley, dill or chives for seafood/Fish dishes.
Ingredients : Makes 4 serves
- 1 3/4 Cup Lactose free Milk
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 slice brown onion
For White Sauce add
- 1-2Tb herbs : Chives or dill or parsley.
For Cheese Sauce add
- 1/2 cup cheese and 1tsp dry mustard powder.
- Cook in pan over low heat and stir until it boils.
- Remove pan from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- Drain milk into a sieve over a bowl and discard the seasonings.
- In the same pot as you boiled the milk add 1Tb organic butter and 1tb organic plain flour and stir over low heat until butter is melted and flour is cooked out.
- Then gradually add back to pot the milk and stir continuously until it thickens.
- Add additions for white sauce or cheese sauce.
- For cheese sauce mix well over low heat until the cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.